Students in sixth grade learn geography continent by continent using the five themes of geography as a framework, which builds their understanding of the impact of geography on early civilization. During their study of early civilizations, students focus on the geographical, political, social, economic and cultural aspects. First, they will study the ancient, agricultural river civilizations of Mesopotamia and Egypt. Then they will study the classical civilizations of Greece and Rome that flourished around the Mediterranean Sea. Through inquiry, students will investigate topics about geography and history. They will find and evaluate primary and secondary sources, improve their informational writing, and develop their presentation skills.
Social Studies Grading Policy:
Grading Policy: Grades are assigned a number of points. Your grade for each trimester will be calculated through three categories. Classwork and homework assignments count for 10% of your overall grade. Formative assessments, quizzes and minor projects, will constitute 40% of the overall marking period grade. Summative assessments, such as tests and major projects, will make up 50% of your final grade.
Quizzes/Minor Projects- 40%
Tests/Major Projects- 50%
*Minor and major projects include written responses that can be one or more paragraph(s).
Homework and class work are expected to be completed on time (unless there is a signed note from a parent or care giver explaining a sickness/family emergency/etc.- in which case, an extension will be allowed). If you do not complete homework or classwork assignment on time- or you need to make up some note taking or other class assignment- you may complete it during a working lunch or an in-school or after-school time arranged by Mrs. Smith Any assignment or project that is not turned in on time will be entered as a zero for a grade (in Powerschool) until it is turned in to Mrs. Smith. Remember, it is your responsibility to take the initiative to want to make up work not completed on time.
If you earn a 70% or below on a test or major project, you will be given an opportunity to complete an alternate assignment or assessment to demonstrate your understanding of the material assessed.